Powered by Outside

Does anyone ride with a leatt brace?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Does anyone ride with a leatt brace?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:11 Quote
^^^^what the title says....

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:19 Quote
I do for mx, but found that i change my neck and head angles riding, and it didnt work with the leatt, not sure if anyone else had this problem.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:22 Quote
id do it i i had 1 and i was tryin somthin big and new or somthing

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
jds711 wrote:
I do for mx, but found that i change my neck and head angles riding, and it didnt work with the leatt, not sure if anyone else had this problem.
ha ya thats what i was thinking... i was looking at before i went riding today and was thinking about wearing it but i thought about it and i would feel weird when riding a bike...just my input

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:40 Quote
An increasing number of riders are starting to where the Leatts for racing. I will be wearing one on every downhill/freeride race/ride that I go on from now on.

Earlier this month I had a pretty gnarly crash. I had a severe concussion, sprained and strained my cervical spine(I ripped the muscles and tendons around the neck portion that supports my head), ripped muscles in my upper and lower back and destroyed the helmet I was wearing. I was in a neck brace for a few weeks and it sucked. According to the doctors vewing my CT scans and X-rays, I'm very lucky that I didn't break my neck.
$400 is alot less than an electric wheelchair.
Most people are finding that the Leatts are adjustable to fit most riders comfortable riding position without limiting visibility.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:46 Quote
bmxconvert wrote:
An increasing number of riders are starting to where the Leatts for racing. I will be wearing one on every downhill/freeride race/ride that I go on from now on.

Earlier this month I had a pretty gnarly crash. I had a severe concussion, sprained and strained my cervical spine(I ripped the muscles and tendons around the neck portion that supports my head), ripped muscles in my upper and lower back and destroyed the helmet I was wearing. I was in a neck brace for a few weeks and it sucked. According to the doctors vewing my CT scans and X-rays, I'm very lucky that I didn't break my neck.
$400 is alot less than an electric wheelchair.
Most people are finding that the Leatts are adjustable to fit most riders comfortable riding position without limiting visibility.
holy shit man...this makes me fell like i should never ride without one...

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
i plan on buying one as soon as its warmer and no snow lol...ill be wearing it on all dh rides and races

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
blakelundy wrote:
holy shit man...this makes me fell like i should never ride without one...

I had never really thought too hard about it. In fact lately for all my DH riding I've just been wearing knee pads and my helmet and the gloves only got put on if it were cold. Now I won't ride until I have the Leatt. My new helmet should be here this week, and the Leatt before Christmas(I'm still banned by the doctors from setting foot on a bike).
During my follow up checkup I had come across some more complications. There are apparently a few pinched nerves and my spine is now twisted and kinked and evidence that my brain bounced around in my skull. My follow up doctor took a few more X-rays and looking through the and the results of my previous X-ray and CT scans stated that he was surprised I was alive.

I didn't think that I was too bad off after the crash, infact after I came to and gave it a bit of time I rode a few more sections of trail. My friends that were with me saw that something was seriously wrong when I started veering off the trail into trees because my eyes were blacking out. I just figured that I rattled my head a little. I was forced into the ER and I'm glad I went. Discussing it with the doctors they all agreed that would have been much better off if I had been wearing a brace such as the Leatt.

-Kevin

FL
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
I really want one, people should start wearing them more often

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
i have one and i wear it all the time, the only problem is that it doesnt work very well with a pressure suit.

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 19:39 Quote
Shit dude that sounds pretty heavy!!

Ive been also looking into getting a Leatt brace, Cuz eally anything could happen! Im not so much a pinn'r but when I crash I crash hard!! Getting a Leatt brace is now what helmets used to be considered 4-5 years ago.. Its the Factor of am I guna look like a retard wearing one?..

My point of vue is what looks more retarded?.. Wearing a Leatt brace and protecting whats the most important to you.. Or Sitting in a wheel chair and having someone wipe your drool from your mouth cuz your f-ed???

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 19:57 Quote
bikenerdy wrote:
i have one and i wear it all the time, the only problem is that it doesnt work very well with a pressure suit.

really..race desert and i have a thor pressure suit and my leatt worked fine with..it takes little bit of time to put it all on but it deff. worth it

Posted: Nov 23, 2008 at 20:07 Quote
i wish more of the pros would start wearing them, now at a pro motocross they are just as common as a helmet. I've heard some people complain that they make it easier to break your collar bone, but having broken my back twice now, and my collar bone... I'd much rather have something that saved my back and broke the collar bone instead.

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 6:27 Quote
I'm in the same boat as you bro, I'm really thinking about getting a leatt-brace too. I also have a defender 2.5 hard shell protector and they say that it is designed to work with the leatt-brace system too, but do you guys think this is too much stuff for DH and would it make it hard to manuver around?

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 at 14:05 Quote
straussal wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you bro, I'm really thinking about getting a leatt-brace too. I also have a defender 2.5 hard shell protector and they say that it is designed to work with the leatt-brace system too, but do you guys think this is too much stuff for DH and would it make it hard to manuver around?

the only way you could have too much protection is when it begins to weigh you down and decrease your range of movement.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022456
Mobile Version of Website