My bamboo fixie project!

PB Forum :: 29ers
My bamboo fixie project!
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 at 15:59 Quote
Trocadero wrote:
willy94 wrote:
kinetic-uk wrote:
Would be very difficult to make though.
an old headtube and crown, insert bamboo into those. then miter the ends and put in dropouts.. would look great

Those who know more than me feel free to correct me (I haven't taken strengths of materials yet, next term Big Grin ) but I believe that if you use bamboo in the fork you're changing from just an axial force (tension/compression) to axial, shear, and torquing forces. I highly doubt you'd be able to make a bamboo fork last a reasonable amount of time, especially with a front brake mounted on it.

Also, the other day I saw a bamboo single speed in a bike rack. Took a look at it but couldn't get a picture (got a super cheap phone haha) It was built with bamboo and fiber wraps. The chainstays were the same size as what you've been saying so I think you're good there. The thing that caught my eye was the headtube though, it was covered in nearly an inch think wrap. The fibers in use for this bike were larger than yours though, so I don't know how that factors in. Considering that OSU is a huge engineering school, I'm certain that this was a senior design project for a mechanical engineer. So you're not alone in trying this, and it's definitely possible. Good luck man.
Awesome...takes alot of worrying out of the rear triangle for me

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 18:48 Quote
Had tons of college related paperwork (scholarships etc) to take care of...10hrs between today and yesterday(lots of march 1st deadlines) Frown but i just have to perfect one of the seat stays and i can tack it all together

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 22:41 Quote
jimbo33000 wrote:
Had tons of college related paperwork (scholarships etc) to take care of...10hrs between today and yesterday(lots of march 1st deadlines) Frown but i just have to perfect one of the seat stays and i can tack it all together

tup

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 at 18:30 Quote
Can you post a picture of your bike please ? Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2011 at 19:24 Quote
cool project man.. cant wait to see the final result

Posted: Mar 3, 2011 at 19:44 Quote
biceps wrote:
Can you post a picture of your bike please ? Smile
The frame is now partially tacked to gether, when its fully tacked together i can have a pic....Possibly tomorrow

Posted: Mar 6, 2011 at 12:30 Quote
Ok, you guys win....I used mighty putty (well, locktite putty actually) its coming together though Big Grin

Posted: Mar 6, 2011 at 12:38 Quote
Got any pics of the project so far Jim?

Posted: Mar 6, 2011 at 12:42 Quote
I think i can have the whole thing tacked together in the next few hours, so you'll get a pic of the whole frame tup

Posted: Mar 6, 2011 at 12:43 Quote
Coolio, looking forward to seeing it!

Posted: Mar 7, 2011 at 16:41 Quote
woah! lush, now wrap up the headtube, BB, dropouts and seattube with the fibers and your good tup

Posted: Mar 7, 2011 at 16:42 Quote
willy94 wrote:
woah! lush, now wrap up the headtube, BB, dropouts and seattube with the fibers and your good tup
and the BB and dropouts and all other steel to bamboo joints Razz but ya, basically.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011119
Mobile Version of Website