Powered by Outside

POD: Amateur Photography Style (read before posting)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
POD: Amateur Photography Style (read before posting)
O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2010 at 22:23 Quote
That is not a photograph. It's an extremely-manipulated digital image. Try again.

Posted: Apr 24, 2010 at 22:47 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
That is not a photograph. It's an extremely-manipulated digital image. Try again.
have none of you heard of HDR?

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 2:51 Quote
when does this one end?

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 5:13 Quote
It is hdr. It's not 'rediculously manipulated'. It's an HDR PHOTOGRAPH. I know it might be a little 'over the top' but I'm just experimenting with different techniques at the moment for my photography coursework and it was all I had that vaguely related to industry. k?

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 9:19 Quote
JakeDavisPhotography wrote:
It is hdr. It's not 'rediculously manipulated'.

HDR is ridiculously manipulated. Every part of the photo except for the rare "perfectly exposed" portion is completely changed, brightened, darkened, whatever. Plus, it looks like you saturated the hell out of it. It's not a photograph anymore.

Whatever though, do what you want.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 9:40 Quote
JakeDavisPhotography wrote:
It is hdr. It's not 'rediculously manipulated'. It's an HDR PHOTOGRAPH. I know it might be a little 'over the top' but I'm just experimenting with different techniques at the moment for my photography coursework and it was all I had that vaguely related to industry. k?
High Dynamic Range is just descriptive of the light conditions available. It is not always necessary to run a couple of exposures through tone mapping software to get the best range available. What you have done is taken an image that probably would have been fine (can't tell without seeing the originals) and manipulated it till it looks ridiculous. How can you not see that that is not what light is supposed to look like? I don't think anyone in this thread doesn't know what HDR is - it's a photography thread for crying out loud. What you have produced there is manipulated, and it looks ridiculous, hence ridiculously manipulated. See the kind of 'aura' that the trees to the left of your photo have - that's a sign that it's overprocessed.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 9:59 Quote
Another quick point - don't think that I am specifically against HDR, I think it produces some great images. But it is consistently overused to create photos with ridiculously unnatural tonal ranges. For example:

BAD HDR
photo

GOOD HDR
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.astro-image.org/images/tr/arcadia.jpg

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 10:10 Quote
See this is the only reason I would use a HDR type process:
bringing the sky back into this photo as opposed to the non-processed version

photo
processed

photo
non-processed

I know the temp is way up on one and down on the other but I couldn't be bothered to change that.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 10:10 Quote
Like I said: "I know it might be a little 'over the top' but I'm just experimenting with different techniques at the moment for my photography coursework and it was all I had that vaguely related to industry."

To Hombre: I didn't saturate the hell out of it, the machinery is actually that colour, and so was the sunset. Wink

To iamanidiot: I didn't actually notice the halo/aura. when I did it. I take back the not over-processed bit.. Sorry! :\

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 11:38 Quote
so many regulations for such a small thread

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 12:04 Quote
bissellracing11 wrote:
If a competition didn't have any rules it wouldn't be much of a competition.

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 13:14 Quote
iamanidiot wrote:
bissellracing11 wrote:
If a competition didn't have any rules it wouldn't be much of a competition.
I know but its just pinkbike i realize all of us share a love for photography and i like the idea behind the thread but i mean maybe its just me i just think all the uploading regulations and all that are a bit much

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 13:25 Quote
shut up and post pictures haha

Posted: Apr 25, 2010 at 13:40 Quote
Sorry been away this weekend, whats the current topic and when does it end?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017140
Mobile Version of Website