Powered by Outside

Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:31 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
ok, ive tried to adjust my 40 to the way i want it too feel and its just feels like pure garbage, can someone who rides whistler alot with 40's just tell me what you have your fork setup like, im tired of riding 5 laps and cant feel my fingers at all, i dont race so i wont be stealing your secrets to win or anything and if your really secretive about it just send me a pm. Please Help

No one can tell you how to set up YOUR fork for a number of reasons. One, different riding styles. Even though you may both ride the same trail at the same pace, you could have completely different riding styles.

Two, different weights. You may be a slightly different weight but run the same weight spring as someone else, thus requiring different adjustments to your damper. Or, you may be very close to the same weight but on a different weight spring.

Three, you may be running different oils.

The only thing we can tell you is to set all compression adjustments to "soft" or "-", and then make sure you have the proper spring and go from there. All this information can be found in the first few posts, however we can't tell you what to do to make it work perfectly.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
ok, ive tried to adjust my 40 to the way i want it too feel and its just feels like pure garbage, can someone who rides whistler alot with 40's just tell me what you have your fork setup like, im tired of riding 5 laps and cant feel my fingers at all, i dont race so i wont be stealing your secrets to win or anything and if your really secretive about it just send me a pm. Please Help

No one can tell you how to set up YOUR fork for a number of reasons. One, different riding styles. Even though you may both ride the same trail at the same pace, you could have completely different riding styles.

Two, different weights. You may be a slightly different weight but run the same weight spring as someone else, thus requiring different adjustments to your damper. Or, you may be very close to the same weight but on a different weight spring.

Three, you may be running different oils.

The only thing we can tell you is to set all compression adjustments to "soft" or "-", and then make sure you have the proper spring and go from there. All this information can be found in the first few posts, however we can't tell you what to do to make it work perfectly.
yah i know, i just thought it might have worked with abit if help, its just such a PAIN, i spend that much on a fork and no matter what i do i cant seem to get it right

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
Go back to square one and drop a lighter spring in it.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:46 Quote
mr-eric wrote:

Just send me the fork I'll set it up for you Wink

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:16 Quote
nofree69 wrote:
mr-eric wrote:

Just send me the fork I'll set it up for you Wink
SURE, ILL ALSO SEND YOU MY NEW GLORY AND ILL ALSO BAKE YOU A CAKE

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
awesome I like a lemon cake or marble....

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:20 Quote
nofree69 wrote:
awesome I like a lemon cake or marble....
marble and some pumkin pie for thanksgiving

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:26 Quote
deal. I mean if you are unable to tune your fork what are the chance you can tune your shock as well. we are all better off if you just send me your frame and fork and the rest of your bike while we are at it. I'll tune it and ride it and enjoy it Fab

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:27 Quote
nofree69 wrote:
deal. I mean if you are unable to tune your fork what are the chance you can tune your shock as well. we are all better off if you just send me your frame and fork and the rest of your bike while we are at it. I'll tune it and ride it and enjoy it Fab
sure no problem

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
This might be a retarded question due to my lack of knowledge about damping. I have the same problem with Fox 40, they hurt my hands when set up to give stabilty at speed.

Could this be remedied by a multi stage shimstack? Soft compression at minor shaft movement and then firm up at bigger stuff? Possible?

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 13:02 Quote
erm....thats what the high/low speed compression adjustments are for...

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 13:08 Quote
ok peeps, check out page 14 plz!

I expect strongly the issue for most people with this problem is that they are still running the stock spring which isn't the correct weight for them & its not a 'damping setting' related issue at all, you might as well be running dirt jump forks if you aren't going to get the correct spring - even if you have your damping set up poorly, it will still absorb chatter well enough with a soft enough spring.

As for finger cramp e.t.c. - what do you expect at a place like whistler??? I used to get finger cramp on 2 minute downhills here in the UK, to help with the problem, I can suggest from personal experience... set your tyre pressure lower, get fatter grips, ride without gloves & most importantly.... ride more and your fingers will eventually get used to it!

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
Muttley wrote:
erm....thats what the high/low speed compression adjustments are for...

I do have the correct spring and sag. If I set the HSC really low it's not really much of a problem, but I blow through the travel. The problem is that the HSC also hits in at minor brakebumps and stuff. I'd prefer that it didn't affect the suspension before it's actually a little bit larger. I have an old 06 Fox 40 though. The new 40's feel like the HSC doesn't affect trail chatter as much as mine. I'll probably get it reshimmed or just change the damper unit..

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
Get the new more refined version of the FIT (09/010) put in, it works great

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Get the new more refined version of the FIT (09/010) put in, it works great
your able to get the fit put in??

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010438
Mobile Version of Website