fireman wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
fireman wrote:
John Lennon much?
All I know of Lennon is his music.
Have you heard this song?

Not until now.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:13 Quote
Yea I basically believe that we all die in the end and often I become really nihlistic and depressed and wonder wtf the point is anyways because eventually the sun will just collapse or a supernova will hit us or we'll all kill ourselves anyways, but then I just try to convince myself that my being here, will somehow positively effect someone elses life (I know that sounds weird after what just happened on this thread but that wasn't really me). But I'm pretty hard to convince.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:15 Quote
Don't worry abotu the Sun killing all life on Earth, roughly every 60 million years a major asteroid/comet hits Earth. Guess when the last one was?

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:17 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
Don't worry abotu the Sun killing all life on Earth, roughly every 60 million years a major asteroid/comet hits Earth. Guess when the last one was?

There is an asteroid thats supposed to hit us really soon, in about 20 years called apophis, named after the egyptian god of death or soemthing. It won't destroy the earth but it sure as hell will destroy LA and the rest of the pacific rim almost lol

And theres about 100000 ways we could all be whiped out lol. We could collide with a black hole, or a red giant, or kim jon ils nukes.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:20 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:

There is an asteroid thats supposed to hit us really soon, in about 20 years called apophis, named after the egyptian god of death or soemthing. It won't destroy the earth but it sure as hell will destroy LA and the rest of the pacific rim almost lol

And theres about 100000 ways we could all be whiped out lol. We could collide with a black hole, or a red giant, or kim jon ils nukes.

1.It's a near-earth asteroid. It's super low probability that it'll hit Earth (like 2% chance)
2. cannot collide with a black hole/red giant.
3. Very possible.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:20 Quote
Did you forget about 2012? But I watched a show about the sun on the Discovery channel, and they said that eventually the sun will start to let out it's gas' and will slowly grow and get bigger. Meaning it will get closer to earth and eventually incinerate the planet. But they said that's not going to happen for like 6 million years or something.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:22 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:

1.It's a near-earth asteroid. It's super low probability that it'll hit Earth (like 2% chance)
2. cannot collide with a black hole/red giant.
3. Very possible.

I heard that it will not hit earth, but years later (earlier than 50 years) it will come back around THEN hit earth.
Eventually our galaxy could collide with a black hole. I don't see whats stopping us
Yes, he's crazy

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:23 Quote
fireman wrote:
Did you forget about 2012? But I watched a show about the sun on the Discovery channel, and they said that eventually the sun will start to let out it's gas' and will slowly grow and get bigger. Meaning it will get closer to earth and eventually incinerate the planet. But they said that's not going to happen for like 6 million years or something.

that would be a red giant, but our sun isn't big enough for that. Red giant takes 3 solar masses I think. And 2012, the whole thing about the stars or w/e the hell it is, happens every year on december 21st or 12th or whatever.

edit. Nvmd our sun could turn into red giant. Red giant is .5-10 solar masses

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:23 Quote
Speaking of black holes, have you ever thought that that's where your "spirit" goes? Or there's another Earth? Creepy.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:24 Quote
fireman wrote:
Speaking of black holes, have you ever thought that that's where your "spirit" goes? Or there's another Earth? Creepy.

No...No I haven't... Although falling into a black hole would be the absolute best way to die. Spaghettification

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:39 Quote
ledzeppie, let's leave the technical terms at the office.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:41 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
ledzeppie, let's leave the technical terms at the office.

sry I just read A Brief History In Time along with about 100 web pages over the past month on astronomy and physics lol. They're kind of drilled into my head now

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 22:57 Quote
Well that was a spectacular read. Vince, whether you car or not, what you believe in is almost parallel to Buddhism. You are your own driving force, taking responsibility for your own selfishness, living in the moment, etc., you sir are "awake". Anywho. I think at the core of almost every religion are basically the same fundamentals for spreading love, compassion and being good to one another. It's the competition of humans to be absolutely right that causes the conflict. Nobody absolutely knows for sure what REALLY happens on the other side. Whether you go to heaven or hell, whether you pass into Nirvana, whether you're reborn, whatever. People just need to chill, not worry about who other people are worshipping or what they believe in because they disagree with it, and concentrate on themselves.

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 23:00 Quote
What separates me from buddhism is that I am materialistic (among other things). So maybe I'm a Bodhisattva of sorts?

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 at 23:04 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
What separates me from buddhism is that I am materialistic (among other things). So maybe I'm a Bodhisattva of sorts?

Kinnnnnnd of? Bodhisattva is someone who can attain enlightenment/nirvana but delays doing so out of compassion to save suffering beings.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010480
Mobile Version of Website